As a whole, you might be eligible for naturalization under Section 319(a) associated with the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) if your
- Have already been a permanent resident (Green Card owner) for at the very least 36 months
- Have already been staying in marital union aided by the same U.S. citizen spouse during such time
- Meet all other eligibility needs under this part
In some situations, partners of U.S. citizens used abroad may be eligible for a naturalization irrespective of their time as permanent residents. These partners may qualify under area 319(b) associated with the INA.
For information associated with spouses of armed forces people, see our users of the Military and their own families web page. Additionally for details about becoming a permanent resident or petitioning for family unit members, please check out our Green Card or Family websites.
General Eligibility Demands
An applicant must to be eligible for naturalization pursuant to section 319(a) of the INA
- Be 18 or older
- Be described as a resident that is permanentGreen Card owner) for at the very least three years instantly preceding the date of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
- Have now been surviving in marital union because of the U.S. citizen partner, that has been a U.S. resident during every one of such period, through the 36 months straight away preceding the date of filing the applying or more until assessment regarding the application
- Have lived inside the state, or USCIS region with jurisdiction within the applicant’s destination of residence, for at the least three months before the date of filing the applying
- Have constant residence in america as a lawful permanent resident for at minimum 36 months straight away preceding the date of filing the application form
- Live constantly inside the united states of america from the date of application for naturalization before the time of naturalization
- Be physically present in the United States for at the very least 18 months from the 36 months instantly preceding the date of filing the applying
- Manage to read, compose, and talk English and now have knowledge and a knowledge of U.S. history and federal government (also referred to as civics)
- Be an individual of great ethical character, connected to the maxims regarding the Constitution associated with united states of america, and well disposed into the good purchase and joy associated with the united states of america during all relevant durations underneath the law
Partners of U.S. People Employed Abroad
Generally speaking, the partner of a U.S. resident who’s used by the U.S. federal government, like the armed forces, or other qualifying boss, whose spouse is planned become stationed abroad this kind of employment for at the least 12 months during the time of filing, can be qualified to receive naturalization under part 319(b) associated with INA.
As a whole, a partner of the U.S. resident employed abroad must certanly be contained in the usa pursuant to a legal admission for permanent residence during the time of assessment regarding the naturalization application as well as enough time of naturalization, and meet of all the needs in the list above except that:
- No certain duration as a permanent resident (Green Card owner) is necessary (nevertheless the partner needs to be a resident that is permanent
- No certain amount of constant residence or presence that is physical the usa is necessary
- No particular amount of marital union is necessary; but, the partners needs to be in a legitimate marriage at the full time of filing before the time of naturalization.
Note: you need to additionally establish which you intend to reside in the United States immediately upon the termination of your spouse’s employment abroad that you will depart abroad immediately after naturalization and.